Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cross my heart and promise......

Though it is called the Hippocratic Oath, I bet it must be an amazing feeling to cross your heart and swear by the God of health that you will love and serve your patients. Doctors, I think have the most gifted job on earth. The job of selling “hope”. I feel its important that each one of us is bound by such a promise that we would live to keep up and the world would be so much better.

In this quest of mine, I end up taking oaths on different websites like Incredible India and the most recent one being “Jaago re”. The one against corruption has been irking me since the time I signed in .I wonder why? Is it because I know its difficult to survive without slipping in some money? (“Khilana” in terms of Jaagore.com) or is it because it reminds me of the 3 driving tests that I gave for a mere Learner’s license where they wrote “FAILED” on my paper when I said no to “khilana”(For those who know me, you know I cant fail in a dumb License exam and for those who don’t, FYI....I am not dumb!).Ultimately I got the license but only by giving up and paying one of those guys who stand in the RTO office with a scarf around their neck. That is how you understand and they keep asking you “License kya Madam?”

Things just don’t get done unless you show the “hara note”. My fascination with taking oaths has given me a chance to do my bit to stop corruption. If I don’t get back to this space writing about another dreadful “khilo-ing” experience, think that I have lived up to my expectations.Every "No" counts !

3 comments:

yogesh patel said...

Cant help.. the system has been made with loop holes and no proper check on them has made them flourish.

Its surprising to understand their evolution "these people were those who assisted the illiterate in filling the form and inturn charged a small denomination slowly this attracted many players into the business who inturn bribed government officials. even though the literacy level of people has increased over years. The strong contacts between the broker and government officials have made the appointments of these brokers mandatory... with E-governance coming up in all the government offices now these goons have started using computers.. potraying them selves as government appointed.which can be done by us at just a click.

Initiatives like these certainly would bring a CHANGE .... but it'll take time....

Kunal said...

Excellent thought! The bribing not only goes on in driving licenses but I've experienced it when I went to make my Passport and it was really urgent for me to get it done. I ended up paying quite an amount when in reality I should have got the PP within the time duration I wanted. If I hadn't paid, the passport would not have come and I would have lost a big opportunity (though that didn't happen...but well, that's another story)

I am borrowing a few lines from a song from a movie called 'Kala Bazaar' *ing Anil Kapoor and Jackie.

bhagwan ke ghar bhi khot chale, puja ke liye bhi note chale,

jo chahe karwa lo dhan se, har kaam bane donation se,

Milta hain usi ko vote, dikhaye jo voter ko note, yeh paisa bolta hain!!!


You can bribe, give donations and get your work done. That's a harsh reality of life and we all, knowingly or unknowingly are a part of it. I am happy for the initiative you've taken Indu, and I hope I can follow you too. Good luck.

@yogesh - It's not only surprising but sad that for our basic rights which we're entitled to and frmo which the government should take out all intermediaries is being run by goons (like you mentioned).
Initiatives like this take time, but I think the time has come when something should be done...we have to wake up. We have to Jaago re!!!

Deeptaman Mukherjee said...

Doctors, I think have the most gifted job on earth. The job of selling “hope”.

:) :)

Indeed, the Best Line :)

Looking forward to more from you!!

Kunal - Very Rightly Said - "Paisa bolta hai". Indeed!! And, we listen to it, sometimes or probably all the time in our life.